SCIRE Research Partners
- VA Long Beach Healthcare System
- University of California, Irvine
VA Long Beach
- Mission: Honor America’s Veterans by providing exceptional health care that improves their health and well-being
- 2,200 full-time employees
- Provider of choice for over 50,000 Veterans
- Operates community-based outpatient clinics in:
- Orange County
- Laguna Hills
- Villages at Cabrillo
- Santa Ana
- Whittier/Santa Fe Springs
University of California, Irvine
- 30,000 students, 1,100 faculty and 9,700 staff
- 400 medical students
- 600 physicians in residency and fellows at UC Irvine Medical Center
- Annual research awards of $300 million
- Signed agreement with SCIRE in 2003 outlining working relationship
- SCIRE will administer projects that have a majority of activities conducted in SCIRE- assigned space.
- Determination will be made based on VA/SCIRE covering >50% of direct costs.
- Each UCI employee working on a SCIRE project will receive a Without Compensation appointment from VA Long Beach.
- Agreements can be reached wherein SCIRE pays the UCI employee’s salary/benefits.
UCI, Research Award Funding
- In 2014-2015, 40% of funding came from the Department of Health and Human Services. The next largest funder was the National Science Foundation.
- These two sources account for 57% of UCI’s research funding.