NAVREF’s mission is to advance the success of the VA-affiliated research and education corporations.
NAVREF envisions a nation in which veterans receive the finest care based on innovative research and education.
Education – Promote the highest standards for fiscal and operational management among members through: technical assistance, best practices consultation, and annual conferences.
Member Communications and Services – Serve as a source of knowledge/information for members, and make referrals to outside NPC experts as needed.
Oversight – Work with VA and Congress regarding NPC oversight and compliance
- 83 active NPCs
- 36% have revenues below $500,000
- 14% have revenues between $500,000 – $1 million
- 42% have revenues between $1 – $10 million (SCIRE)
- 8% have revenues $10 million and above
- NPCs reported $267 million in total revenue in FY 2014 (Expenses were $268 million.)
- 72% of revenue comes from government funding
- There are NPCs in 44 states, as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia.
- 30 Principal Investigators (PI)
- 64 Clinical Coordinators
- 33 full time / 31 part-time
- 10 Administrative Staff
- 6 full-time / 5 part-time
- 2 weekend Animal Caretakers
- 12 Members of the Board of Directors
- FY 2015/16 Operating Budget: $5.5M